Recipe by Kristine Robertson
This recipe is an authentic west coasters delight. It is delicious hot or cold, very healthy and quite inexpensive to make. Makes a big pie. You can use pre-made pastry instead if you wish.
- 1⁄4 cup sago
- 1⁄2 swede
- 1 good sized carrot
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 1 good size leek
- 1⁄2 lb prime beef mince
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 lb grated butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip 1/4 cup Sago into large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Grate 1/2 swede, 1 good sized carrot,.
- Dice 2 large potatoes and 2 large onions.
- Slice 1 leek.
- After 30 minutes of'soaking' the Sago, add 1/2lb prime beef mince, grated swede, carrot, diced ptotates, onions and sliced leek.
- Plus 1+1/2 tsp salt.
- Line a large pie dish with pastry and fill with mixture.
- Pat down with wet hands.
- Top pie with remaining pastry, pinch sides and dot energetically with fork.
- Cook in hot oven for 45 minutes (Turn down when pastry is golden brown).
- Pastry: Mix all ingredients to stiff dough with milk.
- Roll out separately.