This vegetarian, dairy-free soup is quite thick. Thin with a little water if desired.
Make and share this West African Peanut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped peeled sweet potato
- 2 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 green onions, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Stir in yellow onions and carrots and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add ginger and cayenne; cook 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato, 2 cups water, tomato juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Ladle soup into the bowl of a food processor. Add peanut butter. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into a clean pan.
- Heat soup over low heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup water to thin, if desired. Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with green onions.