Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Serve over rice if desired.
Make and share this West African Lemon Marinated Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 -3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, quartered
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 hot green chili pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups water or 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- In a large baking dish, combine the onion, garlic, chile, salt, ginger, and black pepper. Stir in the lemon juice, 1 c water, and 1 tbsp oil. Coat the chicken pieces in marinade and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Turn pieces every half hour or so.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and reserve the marinade. Pat the pieces dry. In a skillet, heat the remaining 4 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken, a few pieces a t a time, turning frequently to brown evenly. Pour off all but 2 tbsp oil from the skillet and remove it from heat.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the marinade through a fine sieve set over a bowl. Reheat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the solids fron the sieve and stir constantly until the onion is transparent.
- Return chicken to skillet and add 1/2 c strained marinade and the remaining 1/4 c water. Bring mixture to a boil. Partly cover pand and reduce heat. Simmer 25 minutes, or until chicken is tender.