This is from the excellent Moosewood Restaurant of NY. (Trying for the first time, will add to description once we know more) Reprinted from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, Copyright © 1990 by Moosewood, Inc. Simon and Schuster, publisher.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, pressed
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes (1-inch cubes)
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup apricot juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled gingerroot, fresh
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, fresh (optional)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups chopped okra
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter
- Sauté the onions in the oil for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cayenne and garlic and sauté for a couple more minutes. Add the cabbage and sweet potatoes and sauté, covered for a few minutes. Mix in the juices, salt, ginger, cilantro, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add the okra and simmer for 5 minutes more. Stir in the peanut butter, place the pan on a heat diffuser, and simmer gently until ready to serve. Add more juice or water if the stew is too thick.