1/2 Photos of West African Banana Fritters
Taken from epicurious .com and posted for ZWT. "The fritter tradition harks back to West Africa, where frying in deep oil is one of the major cooking techniques. In the African Atlantic world, fritters can be served as appetizers, as a vegetable, and even as a dessert, as they are here."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat 3 inches of oil in a heavy saucepan or deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- 2Mix the eggs, milk, brown sugar, flour, and baking soda together in a medium-sized bowl.
- 3Add the banana slices a few at a time, coating them well with the batter.
- 4With a long slotted spoon remove the banana slices a few at a time and place them into the oil.
- 5Fry the bananas for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly browned, turning them once. Drain them on paper towels and transfer them to a serving platter.
- 6Repeat the process until all of the bananas have been fried.
- 7Sprinkle them with the confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for West African Banana Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.9
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 97.2 mg
- Sodium 71.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g