Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
A popular dish in the Netherlands. Preparation time includes 30 minutes soaking.
- 8 slices day-old white bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt, to season
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter (more if needed)
- extra icing sugar, to serve (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a bowl, whisk the milk with the lightly beaten eggs, a pinch of salt, the icing sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Remove the crusts from the bread, and lay the slices in a shallow dish.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and fry the bread slices on both sides until golden, being careful they don't break.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with extra icing sugar and cinnamon.
This was an amazing recipe! It was sooo delicious! I'm so glad I found it. I made it for breakfast along with scrambled eggs and the family loved it! My brother never comments on my cooking whether he likes it or not and when I made this he said "What did you do to it? It tastes exactly the way it does at Dennys." And the way he raves about Dennys thats a big compliment!