Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was an entry in our "Soup and Stew" contest. I LOVED it! I would recommend doubling the recipe but I'm posting it as a single batch.
- 1 cup smoked salmon, chunked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, sliced
- 1 -2 cup potato, cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- Saute onion and celery in butter.
- Stir in flour, add stock and potatoes and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling point.
- Add sour cream, dill, pepper and salmon.
- Heat 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add parsley before serving.
I made a 3 serving size and it seems to me that the amounts are a bit off. It ask for less that a 1/2 cup of onion and 1/4 cup of celery and up to 1 1/2 cup of diced potatoes with only one cup of stock. I used a rounded 1/2 cup of potato and 2 cups of stock to make the soup (adding an equal amount of 1/2 and 1/2 instead of more stock would would help to make it more of a chowder in my opinion). I think that it could use some tarragon and more sour cream as I found the flavor to be on the thin side however using the smoked salmon was a real plus and helped a lot. I liked it and I think that with a little seasoning boost I could love it.