Recipe by Lennie
Another yummy recipe from my family; based on a recipe originally published in Homemakers Magazine a few years ago.
Top Review by June Lerch
Oh boy this is good ! It disappeared so fast I had to make another one the next day which I sharec with my neighbors also. This cake is really moist and tastes like "Rhubarb Pudding" my gramma used to make in the early 40's. It is very easy to make and the neighbor I shared with said she had to drop by to see what i was baking.. grammajune
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream, light or regular
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar; then beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift or stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into butter mixture.
- Fold in sour cream and rhubarb.
- Substitute half of rhubarb for sliced fresh strawberries if you wish, to make a Strawberry-Rhubarb Cake.
- Spoon batter into a greased 13x9 glass baking dish.
- Stir together white sugar and nutmeg and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.