Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I received an email today with this copycat recipe listed. It appears to be different from the other one that is already posted on Zaar. "Everyone's favorite salad. Fresh greens, tender chicken, succulent oranges, and tasty toppings. It's the salad that'll satisfy any craving."
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 pinch garlic powder
For the Salad
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 5 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 5 ounces carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, salted
- 1 cup canned mandarin oranges, packed in juice and drained
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chow mein noodles (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, roasted (optional)
- Add the dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend with a mixer until combined. Chill before serving.
- As the dressing chills, add chicken breasts to a pot of boiling water. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until cooked.
- Once the chicken is tender and no longer pink, remove from the pot and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Combine chicken and other remaining salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.
You REALLY have to add about 1 tsp of ginger powder to make it taste like the original, IMHO. I used some leftover grilled lime chicken I had. I just used iceburg lettuce although it would be better to add some field greens. Added some cilantro for flavor/garnish. Otherwise followed the recipe and it was great!
We loved this salad. The dressing is to die for. I doubled the dressing as DH loves lots of dressing on his salads. Very easy to make just make the dressing, get the greens ready, cook the chicken, and serve. DELICIOUS!
This is my favorite salad! I have been using a store bought salad dressing and bagged salad to re-create it but this recipe tastes so much better. Thanks for sharing!