Recipe by spatchcock
From Top Secret Recipes www.topsecretrecipes.com. A clone for one of Wendy's Fresh Stuffed Pitas--this is an adopted recipe that I've not yet had the chance to try. Please review if you get to it before I do! Thanks!
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
This is a wonderful dressing. It is similar to the copycat Olive Garden dressing, except this doesn't have sugar. Even though I love a sweet dressing, this one tasted sweet from the white wine vinegar I used. I did not add the egg and it didn't seem to be missed. I used this on canned tuna/white beans and it was fabulous. I will try the pita version soon! Thanks RedMeatGirl Roxygirl
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 dash parsley
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 dash basil
- 1 tablespoon grated romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 (4 ounce) packagecrumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 4 pita breads
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the dressing by first dissolving the gelatin in the water.
- Heat the mixture in the microwave on high for two minutes or until it begins to boil rapidly.
- Add the vinegar, then whisk while adding the oil.
- Add bell pepper, salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire, black pepper, parsley, oregano, thyme and basil.
- Let dressing cool for about 15 minutes before adding cheeses and egg substitute.
- Whisk until slightly thicker, then chill.
- Overnight refrigeration makes the dressing thicker.
- Make the Greek topping for the sandwiches by combining the crumbled feta cheese, tomato, cucumber, and red onion in a small bowl.
- Prepare the salad by combining the romaine lettuce, red cabbage and shredded carrot in a large bowl and toss.
- Prepare the sandwiches by first microwaving each pita for 20 seconds.
- Fold each pita in half like a taco, then add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the romaine salad into the bread.
- Add 1/2 to 1/3 cup of the greek topping to each sandwich.
- Pour about a tablespoon of dressing over each sandwich and serve.