Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my sister-in-law's recipe -- always in demand at family potlucks. Hope you like it too!
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 can mandarin oranges in juice, well drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients (oil through to dried onion flakes) and whisk well-- you can do this in your processor if you wish.
- In a nonstick frying pan, melt butter and add brown sugar-- over low or med-low heat.
- Add slivered almonds and, stirring constantly, allow almonds to candy.
- Remove and cool.
- Shortly before serving, toss lettuce with dressing, drained oranges and candied almonds.
I have been looking for this recipe for a long time!!!! Yum... I have already given out the recipe to my sister too. I do think I would try and cut back the oil next time just a bit. Very yummy Lennie!!
Very good salad. I loved the buttery almonds - they were my favorite part. Colorful and refreshing. Next time, I would use less oil as the dressing was a little too oily.
The flavors were good together but I felt the butter used to make the candied almonds was way too much. Mine ended up swimming in butter. I would try using only 1 Tbls. next time. The dressing is a little strong too. There were a few times that it took my breath away when I'd bite into an orange that absorbed a lot of it. A good combo of flavors over all.