Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Leeks, bacon and mashed potatoes how can you go wrong.
Make and share this Welsh Shepard's Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Rewarm your mashed potatoes, set aside and keep warm.
- Melt half the butter in the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat add bacon and saute until just beginning to crisp and brown.
- Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside , keep warm.
- Add leek to pan with sugar and salt and pepper.
- Preheat boiler while leeks gently saute until soft and caramelized. Careful not to burn.
- Return bacon to pan and mix evenly.
- Pour mixture into pie 9" plate and spread evenly.
- Melt remaining butter and add to potatoes, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon potatoes evenly over leeks and bacon and smooth top.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Place pie under broiler until top is nicely brown. Rotate if necessary to brown evenly.
- Serve in a wedge with pie server with a side of pickled beets or ligonberry sauce on the plate.