Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Leeks, bacon and mashed potatoes how can you go wrong.
Make and share this Welsh Shepard's Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Rewarm your mashed potatoes, set aside and keep warm.
- Melt half the butter in the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat add bacon and saute until just beginning to crisp and brown.
- Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside , keep warm.
- Add leek to pan with sugar and salt and pepper.
- Preheat boiler while leeks gently saute until soft and caramelized. Careful not to burn.
- Return bacon to pan and mix evenly.
- Pour mixture into pie 9" plate and spread evenly.
- Melt remaining butter and add to potatoes, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon potatoes evenly over leeks and bacon and smooth top.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Place pie under broiler until top is nicely brown. Rotate if necessary to brown evenly.
- Serve in a wedge with pie server with a side of pickled beets or ligonberry sauce on the plate.