Bob Marshall's Note:
Leeks, bacon and mashed potatoes how can you go wrong.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rewarm your mashed potatoes, set aside and keep warm.
- 2Melt half the butter in the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat add bacon and saute until just beginning to crisp and brown.
- 3Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside , keep warm.
- 4Add leek to pan with sugar and salt and pepper.
- 5Preheat boiler while leeks gently saute until soft and caramelized. Careful not to burn.
- 6Return bacon to pan and mix evenly.
- 7Pour mixture into pie 9" plate and spread evenly.
- 8Melt remaining butter and add to potatoes, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- 9Spoon potatoes evenly over leeks and bacon and smooth top.
- 10Sprinkle with paprika.
- 11Place pie under broiler until top is nicely brown. Rotate if necessary to brown evenly.
- 12Serve in a wedge with pie server with a side of pickled beets or ligonberry sauce on the plate.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Welsh Shepard's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.5
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.7 mg
- Sodium 670.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g