Truly, I add rabbit or chicken meat to my rarebit, to serve as a hearty (and savory) main dish, thus making my rarebit a TRUE rabbit!!! Plus my kids don't have to grow up being confused about the name: rarebit or rabbit.
- Melt butter in large saucepan; add cheese, mustard and hot sauce; heat until cheese melts--stirring all the while.
- Gradually add the beer, stirring continuously; then add meat if using.
- Stir in beaten egg, until egg sets; remove from heat.
- Cut toast into "points" and lay two points on each plate.
- Pour one-sixth of the sauce over each plate; garnish with one tomato wedge.
- NOTE: try Monterey Jack, Swiss, mild Cheddar for different flavors!