Recipe by WI Cheesehead
From Baby Let's Eat! in the 18-24 month chapter. Child friendly ingredients.
Top Review by echo echo
What a good idea, Welsh Rarebit served over veggies instead of toast. I steamed rather than boiled the broccoli and I melted the cheese in the microwave. Otherwise, made as directed. It's yummy. Definitely add the rosemary--it's a nice touch.
- 1 head broccoli, stems trimmed low and cut into flowerets
- 1⁄2 lb mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 pinch dried rosemary (optional) or 1 pinch dried basil (optional)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in half
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Slowly melt the cheese in a double boiler.
- Gradually mix in the broth.
- Whisk in the mustard and egg.
- Sprinkle a little of the rosemary or basil on the cut side of each tomato half.
- Broil until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the Welsh rarebit over the broccoli and tomatoes. Makes 2 cups sauce.