NY Times recipe. Cheese and beer. On toast. What's not to love?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 3/4 cup strong dark beer, like Guinness
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese or 1 lb double Gloucester cheese (or other good semi-hard cheese, like ComtÃƒ or Gruyere, or a mixture) or 1 lb other english cheese, grated (or other good semi-hard cheese, like ComtÃƒ or Gruyere, or a mixture)
- 4 -8 pieces lightly toasted bread
- 1Put butter in a saucepan over medium heat and, as it melts, stir in flour.
- 2Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in mustard and cayenne, then whisk in beer and Worcestershire sauce.
- 4When mixture is uniform, turn heat to low and stir in cheese, again stirring until smooth.
- 5Remove from heat and pour into a broad container to set (you can refrigerate for up to a day at this point).
- 6Spread mixture thickly on toast and put under broiler until bubbly and edges of toast are crisp.
- 7Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Welsh Rarebit
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.3
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 134.3 mg
- Sodium 1000.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 31.5 g