Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
NY Times recipe. Cheese and beer. On toast. What's not to love?
Make and share this Welsh Rarebit recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup strong dark beer, like Guinness
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese or 1 lb double Gloucester cheese (or other good semi-hard cheese, like ComtÃƒ or Gruyere, or a mixture) or 1 lb other english cheese, grated (or other good semi-hard cheese, like ComtÃƒ or Gruyere, or a mixture)
- 4 -8 pieces lightly toasted bread
- Put butter in a saucepan over medium heat and, as it melts, stir in flour.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in mustard and cayenne, then whisk in beer and Worcestershire sauce.
- When mixture is uniform, turn heat to low and stir in cheese, again stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour into a broad container to set (you can refrigerate for up to a day at this point).
- Spread mixture thickly on toast and put under broiler until bubbly and edges of toast are crisp.
- Serve immediately.