Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
This has got to be one of the comfort foods of all times. How can it be bad with all these great ingredients? This recipe is courtesy of Alton Brown, 2003.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup porter beer
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 drops hot sauce
- 4 slices toasted rye bread
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour.
- Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper until smooth.
- Add beer and whisk to combine.
- Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth, this will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add hot sauce.
- Pour over toast and serve immediately.
It was good but I've had better, very heavy.
great rarebit but I changed the beer to dark ale
this is the basis of my welsh rarebit recipe except i leave out the beer ans instead of dijon i use powdered english mustard