This has got to be one of the comfort foods of all times. How can it be bad with all these great ingredients? This recipe is courtesy of Alton Brown, 2003.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup porter beer
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 drops hot sauce
- 4 slices toasted rye bread
- 1In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour.
- 2Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper until smooth.
- 3Add beer and whisk to combine.
- 4Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- 5Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth, this will take 4-5 minutes.
- 6Add hot sauce.
- 7Pour over toast and serve immediately.
Nutritional Facts for Welsh Rarebit
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1032.2
- Calories from Fat 716
- Total Fat 79.6 g
- Saturated Fat 49.1 g
- Cholesterol 256.7 mg
- Sodium 1577.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 33.2 g