Nothing is more delicious that a well-made Welsh Rabbit, or 'rarebit'. It is easy to make but you do need to keep your eye on it! Have the toast made, and keep it warm, before you start cooking the cheese - which is best coarsely grated because it melts easily. From 'The Country Kitchen - Cheese And Biscuits' - Jean Hatfield.
- Melt the butter or margarine in the top of a double boiler over boiling water. Add the milk or beer; when this is warm, add the grated cheese.
- With a fork, stir lightly but constantly until the cheese is melted. Season with Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and cayenne.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the lightly beaten egg, which will cook in a few seconds.
- Pour the mixture over the hot toast.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika if liked, and serve immediately.