Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I cut this out of a magazine years ago. It might have been "Better Homes and Gardens." The serving size is for use as a main dish on toast slices. It serves more if served as a fondue appetizer.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- toasted white bread or rye bread (slices or cubes)
- In double boiler over boiling water melt butter or margarine.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard and cayenne until blended.
- Stir in milk and worcestershire and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in cheese and cook, stirring just until melted and blended.
- Serve hot mixture over warm toast slices or put into fondue pot if serving with toasted bread cubes.