Recipe by Sackville
This is great with any kind of grilled meat. If you're lucky enough to have leftovers they reheat easily in the oven.
- 800 g potatoes
- 400 g onions
- 100 g butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and then slice them wafer thin (best done in a food processor).
- Rinse the potatoes and shake dry.
- Peel and halve the onions.
- Slice the onions as thin as you can but don't separate the slices.
- Use a quarter of the butter to grease a cake tin or gratin-style dish.
- Make layers with potato, salt and pepper, thyme and then onion.
- Repeat until all the ingredients are gone, cutting pieces of butter to go between the layers.
- Make sure to leave some butter for the final layer.
- Cover the top of the dish with foil and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the potatoes are tender all the way through.