Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for ZWT6
Make and share this Welsh Onion Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 8 ounces onions, finely chopped
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 7 inch souffle dish and place a layer of potatoes on the bottom and then a layer of onions, dot with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers, finishing off with potatoes. Brush with butter and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Serve hot.
Yum! So simple yet so tasty and flavourful. You end up with a few textures in the same dish because the top layer tends to crisp while the bottom ends up steaming leaving the potato and onion fluffy. I made half the recipe in a smaller ramekin which made a generous side for two.
another fantastic recipe! this is crazy easy. the only thing *I* would do differently is to use more salt. potatoes really do need seasoning & I went easy on the salt & it needed more. the top was brown & gorgeous, the insides cooked perfectly. yippee!! there were no leftovers. this would be easily multiplied. I was cooking a pot roast at the time at 300F so I increased it to 325F & cooked the potatoes for 1 1/4 hours then when I took the meat out, I cranked it to 425F to brown the top. thank you! made for aussie swap 2/11.