Tea Girl's Note:
Wellington is something for preserving the juices of good quality meat, so try to get a good quality of lamb for this recipe. I have done something similar to this recipe though I do spice it more. Serve with mashed potatoes and salad http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/643272
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 lamb loin fillets or 2 lamb neck fillets, weighing approx 227g each
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed (depending how much you like garlic)
- 100 ml white wine
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 200C/180Cfan. Sprinkle the rosemary onto a plate. Season the lamb with salt and black pepper then roll it in the rosemary.
- 2Heat half the oil in a frying pan and sear the lamb for 2-3 minutes each side until brown all over, be careful not to overcook. Remove and set aside.
- 3Heat the remaining oil in the pan and gently fry the mushrooms, leeks and garlic for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until evaporated. Leave to cool slightly.
- 4Cut pastry block in half and roll into a large rectangle about 5mm thick (big enough to wrap around the lamb). Spoon half the mushroom mixture down the centre of the rectangle and place the lamb on top.
- 5Brush any exposed pastry with the beaten egg and then wrap the pastry around the meat, sealing tightly – trim the top and bottom if a little too much pastry. Place on a baking tray, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining pastry and second piece of lamb.
- 6Brush the pastry all over with the remaining beaten egg and decorate with pastry trimmings if you wish. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving into thick slices.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Welsh Lamb Wellington
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 855.0
- Calories from Fat 533
- Total Fat 59.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 342.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: