Recipe by Outta Here
This is said to be the Welsh national dish. Don't know if that is true but this is delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lamb stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium leeks, washed, trimmed and sliced (include some of the pale green part)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in heavy soup pot. Brown lamb cubes.
- Add potatoes, turnip, parsnip, carrot, salt and pepper and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and continue simmering, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim fat from the liquid, if needed.
- Add the leeks and parsley and simmer until the leeks are translucent, about 30 minutes.
- Serve stew with bread and butter, and a piece of good cheddar cheese.