Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is said to be the Welsh national dish. Don't know if that is true but this is delicious.
Make and share this Welsh Lamb Stew (Cawl) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lamb stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium leeks, washed, trimmed and sliced (include some of the pale green part)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in heavy soup pot. Brown lamb cubes.
- Add potatoes, turnip, parsnip, carrot, salt and pepper and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and continue simmering, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim fat from the liquid, if needed.
- Add the leeks and parsley and simmer until the leeks are translucent, about 30 minutes.
- Serve stew with bread and butter, and a piece of good cheddar cheese.
We loved this wonderful lamb stew! I added a handful of frozen peas but otherwise made as directed. Very tasty, indeed. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. Made for ZWT 8.