Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a cake made with soaked currants and buttermilk. Cooked on top of the stove.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dried currant, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and drained
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Put the flour into a bowl with the salt.
- Rub in the butter.
- Add the sugar and currants, and mix thoroughly.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture. Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk and pour it into the well.
- Then add the egg.
- Blend and knead the mixture to a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, shape it into a ball, and flatten it to form a round cake about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake the cake on a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes on each side.
- Halve the cake horizontally while still warm and spread it with butter.
- Makes 8 inch cake.
- Welsh Fare.