Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
There's a proper Welsh name for this, but I couldn't find it!
Make and share this Welsh Chicken, Leek and Broccoli Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F (moderate oven).
- Cook the chicken (microwave, poach, steam or saute) and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Simmer the leeks and broccoli about 5 mins in the stock to partially cook, and then add the chicken. Put in a casserole dish, season to taste, and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Cover and place in a moderate oven for about an hour.
- Remove from the oven, remove the cover, and place under the broiler until brown. Serve straight from the casserole dish.
picked this for Virtual Culinary Cruise:British Isles and Ireland 2009. What a lovely simple and healthy meal to put together. I follow the Slimming World eating plan and this fitted in perfectly to this. I did scale down the recipe and made 2 individual dishes for lunch, I poached the chicken in some stock then added the veg 5 mins before the end of the chicken's cooking time. I used wholemeal bread crumbs and added 28g of cheddar cheese which was a lovely addition. Make sure you season the dish well - I only used pepper as often stock has a lot of salt. The smell when this was cooking was lovely and just what I needed on a cold and damp Saturday in September. Thanks for posting, will be making again soon.
Tried this for dinner tonight. It was ok, but we thought it a bit bland. Could have done with a little cheese over the top for flavour perhaps. I'll try it another time and let you know. Very, very easy to make though
This was fabulous! I made it for myself and two other guys with big appetites (with only three chicken breasts), and it was a major hit. They were both scraping the bottom of the dish for the last bits of leek and chicken. I left the mixture slightly less than an hour in the oven (maybe 50 minutes), it just smelled too good to wait! Some of the breadcrumbs that didn't stay at the surface got a bit soggy from the stock, so I suggest making sure they stay on top of the veggies and chicken. Great stuff, thanks!