Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
Sweet cake-like cookies that are great with tea
- 2 lbs self-raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup currants
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Mix the salt and flour.
- Cream the butter until soft. Mixing salt and flour mixture, one cup at a time until the
- mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk and eggs. Add nutmeg and sugar, mix well.
- Combine the milk, egg, sugar mix with the dry mixture to make a stiff dough.
- Add currants.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured board. Cut into 2 inch rounds.
- Preheat a griddle or frying pan over low to medium heat.
- Lightly grease the griddle. Cook each round approximately 3 minutes, turning once.
- Store cakes in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.