Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from Cook's Illustrated Magazine. I like the burgers made with ground turkey or beef. The bread and milk really keeps them from drying out.
- 1 slice good quality white bread, crust removed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce (like A-1)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck (or ground turkey)
- 6 ounces sliced cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until homogeneous (you should have about 1/2 cup). Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
- Break up meat into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass. Divide meat into 4 equal portions. Gently toss one portion of meat back and forth between hands to form loose ball. Gently flatten into 3/4" thick patty that measures about 4 1/2" in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2" thick, creating slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
- LIghtly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with toongs, wipe grill cooking grate. Grill burgers on hot side of grill, uncovered, until well seared on first side, 2-4 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip burgers and continue grilling, about 4 minutes. Add cheese about 2 minutes before reaching desired doneness, covering burgers with disposable aluminum foil to melt cheese.
- While burgers grill, toast buns on cooler side of grill. Serve on buns with desired toppings.
I really enjoyed these burgers! We made two different recipes, and these were by far the best. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
These came out very juicy and tender. This is a keeper !
These were very,very good. I made them on my indoor grill, and they turned out great. Very juicy. I did use a little less salt. I did have some trouble keeping them together, but I think that was my fault. I don't think I worked them meat togther quite enough. Thanks for a great recipe that I will definitely make again!