Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Posted for World Tour 2006, this is a comforting sort of a side dish; goes great with any pork dish of course. You can use either a sweet or a dry wine in this depending on what sort of flavor you are looking for.
- Drain sauerkraut slightly.
- Cook onion in butter or drippings until transparent and very lightly browned;
- Add sauerkraut and stir; cook slowly.
- Wash, peel, and core apples (I usually leave the peel on one of them for color); dice fruit and add to sauerkraut.
- Add wine and enough stock or bouillon to cover. Cook slowly on the medium heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar, caraway if using and celery seeds; cover and finish cooking in moderate 325° oven 30 minutes longer until most of the liquid has cooked off but it is not dried out.