Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are good if you like weiners. They are also good with sweet &sour sauce for dipping. This is from a McCalls recipe card.
- vegetable oil or shortening, for deep frying
- 1 cup of your favourite barbecue sauce
- 1 cup packaged pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 wooden skewers
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F on a deep fry thermometer.
- In a small saucepan, heat BBQ sauce.
- Keep warm.
- Combine pancake mix, cornmeal, sugar, and water.
- Beat until just smooth.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Dip weiners in the batter so they are coated all over.
- Fry coated weiners, a few at a time,until crisp and golden brown all over.
- Lift out carefully with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Insert a skewer in one end of each weiner.
- Serve immediately with warmed BBQ sauce for dipping.
I would elliminate the shortenting and try peanut oil instead.
Delicious and what a great "fun" type of supper! Didn't change a thing and everyone enjoyed having corn dogs at home. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
the only thing I would do different with this recipe would be to roll the weiners in some flour. The batter didn't have anything to cling to. The batter spead a little in the fry pan. I was to lazy to pull out the deep fryer!! Otherwise, it was quite tasty!