Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is something my Mom made for us as kids, so I class it as kid friendly. I still make this on a regular basis when I'm looking for some warm comfort.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice onion and add to a 2 qt casserole dish that has a lid.
- Slice weiners into 1/2 inch thick coins and add to onion.
- Mix soup into weiners & onion.
- Add water and stir until soup is dissolved.
- Add rice, black pepper, parsley & stir again.
- Bake for 10 minutes with lid off.
- Remove from oven & stir.
- Bake for an additional 25-35 minutes with lid on.
I liked it -- my husband didn't. It was very easy, smelled great while baking and I thought tasted fine but maybe not the best for eye appeal. I can see where kids would like it and I wouldn't count it out for a quick and easy supper.
This was a winner with all in our family. It's great to have a meal-in-one dish for supper and it's quick to put together on a busy night. Cooking this in the oven really brought out the taste of each ingredient; I added some more rice at the end and cooked it a little bit longer to make it a thicker casserole, and we enjoyed it so much. As you said, it's kid-friendly -- my son had "thirds" and finished up the casserole. Thanks for posting such a delicious recipe!