Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious traditional Christmas Punch of tea, red wine, rum, fresh lemon & orange juice, and spices. Not only for Christmas, but whenever the weather is cold. Serve hot!
- 4 cups strongly brewed black tea
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, to taste
- 4 lemons, juice of
- 3 oranges, juice of
- 8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 (750 ml) bottles red wine (choose a full-bodied variety such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, or Merlot)
- 1 cup golden rum
- fresh lemon and orange slice, to garnish
- In a large pot, combine the sugar and the freshly brewed (still hot) tea. Add the lemon juice, orange juice, cloves, and cinnamon stick; stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the red wine. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until just below the boiling point.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the rum in a small pot (do not boil). Once hot, add to the larger pot and mix together.
- Remove cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Ladle into mugs. Serve hot with a fresh lemon or orange slice.
Served for my New Years party, this was an excellent choice to make! I squeezed the juice from the lemon and oranges into the punch for added flavor, then added more slices. Delicious punch!