Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother used to tell me about these cookies all the time, when she gave the recipe to me, I knew I needed to save it here. The yield depends on cookie cutter sizes. I got about 24 cookies using small trees and stars as cutters. Time accounts for 3 batches in the oven.
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 56.69 g brandy
- 887.21 ml flour
- 1 egg white
- candy sprinkles or almonds or brown sugar, for decorations
- Cream butter; add sugar gradually, continuing to cream.
- Add egg yolks, orange rind, nutmeg, vanilla, and brandy. Mix well.
- Slowly add flour until mixture becomes a workable dough. Roll out and cut with Christmas cookie cutters, brush with egg white and decorate (sprinkles, almonds, nuts, etc.). If you sprinkle with brown sugar before baking they will sparkle!
- Bake at 375-400°F for approximately 10 minutes.