Recipe by Cookin'Diva
Look for barley in the grocery aisle by rice. It is very economical and tasty, and you'll be amazed how filling this soup is. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan and you can be in Weight Watcher heaven.
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups green cabbage, chopped (about 1/4 head)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray large saucepan with non-stick spray. Add chopped carrots, onion and celery. Saute over low heat 5-7 minutes until softened - add garlic for the last minute.
- Add tomato paste (if you are out, just use 2 T. catsup), and stir it around a bit with the vegetables.
- Stir in broth, cabbage, herbs and barley. Simmer, partly covered, for 40 minutes until barley is softened. Add zucchini and parsley after the barley has cooked about 20 minutes, allowing them to cook for the last 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper and 1 T. Parmesan cheese if desired.