Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Look for barley in the grocery aisle by rice. It is very economical and tasty, and you'll be amazed how filling this soup is. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan and you can be in Weight Watcher heaven.
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups green cabbage, chopped (about 1/4 head)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Spray large saucepan with non-stick spray. Add chopped carrots, onion and celery. Saute over low heat 5-7 minutes until softened - add garlic for the last minute.
- Add tomato paste (if you are out, just use 2 T. catsup), and stir it around a bit with the vegetables.
- Stir in broth, cabbage, herbs and barley. Simmer, partly covered, for 40 minutes until barley is softened. Add zucchini and parsley after the barley has cooked about 20 minutes, allowing them to cook for the last 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper and 1 T. Parmesan cheese if desired.
Amazing soup, very easy to make, I added a few other ingredients but otherwise great!!
This was delicious. The barley gave the broth some body. The veggies are delish. I think you could certainly add mushrooms and some hot pepper flakes to make it over the top. Thanks for posting. I will certainly repeat this one.
I have never had barley before, it is really good. I made as written except a few substitutions of on hand vegetables like red onion, brussel sprouts, 1/2 t of celery seeds in place of the celery. I added 1 rounded tsp of chipolte in adobe pepper sauce with the tomato paste for a kick. Excellent taste.