Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
4 points or core for Weight Watchers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
- 4 pimento stuffed olives, halved
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, green pepper, and garlic, stirring frequently until soft. about 8 minutes.
- Add Cajun seasoning, chili powder and cumin. Cook 1 minute.
- Add rice and stir constantly until grains are coated, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and olives; cook covered, until rice is tender and chicken is heated, about 5 more minutes.
This definitely had some kick but needed salt and maybe something else. If I made it again, I might add corn and black beans. I just needed something more I guess. I cooked the brown rice seperate as others had suggested. My husband did enjoy this, although he poured hot sauce on it, also.
This had good flavor and was spicy. I doubled all the spices. Also used instant brown rice as the reviewers had suggested. I would probably cut the water in half if I was to make this again, because it seemed really soupy.
Great recipe! One correction, brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook. White rice is the one that only takes 15. No need to cook the brown rice separately as long as you adjust the cooking time in the skillet. 5 stars for taste, 4 stars because I had to adjust the cooking time from the instructions.