Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A touch of curry powder is the secret ingredient in this rendition of this classic Italian dish.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package whole wheat spaghetti (uncooked)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms.
- Sauté until vegetables are tender and mushrooms release juice, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add basil, curry powder, salt and black pepper; stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Transfer spaghetti to four shallow bowls and spoon chicken mixture over top.
- Yields about 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1 cup of spaghetti per serving with a Points value of 8.
I made this the other night. Very quick to put together and tasty. I didn't notice the curry, but perhaps I need to use more. I'm going to add red pepper flakes next time I make this for more heat.