Prep 20 mins
Cook 26 mins
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. These burgers are lightened up by adding sauteed carrot, celery and mushrooms to the mix. You could also add other sauteed veggies such as chopped eggplant, shredded zucchini, drained chopped spinach, etc.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 red peppers or 1⁄2 yellow pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons carrots, minced
- 2 tablespoons celery, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb extra lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet and sautes the peppers, onion, celery, celery and garlic until the onion is translucent (8-10 min).
- Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are brown and the liquid has evaporated (about 8 min).
- Cool to room temperature.
- Spray broiler rack with nonstick cooking spray and preheat broiler.
- Combine mushroom mixture, beef, steak sauce, salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 burgers.
- Broil burgers 3 to 4 inches from heat for 5 to 7 minutes on each side.
My husband and I really liked these hamburgers. Thanks so much for this very tasty recipe.