Recipe by Abby Girl
If you enjoy lentils and black beans, then you should find this chili extremely satisfying!! The recipe called for 29 oz can diced tomatoes, fire roasted with chilies. That product is not available in Canada, so I added a can of chopped green chilies. If you are "one of those" who can take extreme heat, by all means, use fresh chilies with the seeds left in for that exta punch!!
Top Review by stephlev123
Really delicious! I love a flavourful chili and this was just that. It's super easy to make and I was excited to use lentils more. My fiance liked it too! We didn't even miss the meat because of the black beans.
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 31 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lentils in a large sauce pan and cover with water by several inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender but retain a little bite, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook onion, pepper and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt; add to pot and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring often, about 1 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, and beans to pot; stir well to combine. Cover pot and simmer so flavors can blend, about 5 - 10 minutes, Fold in lentils and cilantro; serve.
- Yeilds about 1 cup per serving.