Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great WW recipe from a meeting. 8Points plus per serving.
- 3⁄4 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 dried chili, minced
- 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot
- In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.
This is a little different than General Tso's chicken, but it was absolutely delicious. Am trying to make every dish a little healthier lately and was not expecting such a great flavor in such a simple to make dish.
I didn't change any ingredients, but did cut the sugar down to 1 1/2 T., but after eating it, I think next time I will only use 1 T. (I don't think we will miss the extra sweetness, and it saves a few calories.)
I also almost doubled the chicken broth because the sauce got very thick quickly, and we like ours not quite so "gelatinous", if that is a word.....??
Any recipe that makes my family go back for seconds is 5 stars in my book.
Next time I will add water chestnuts, green pepper strips, and some asparagus.
Incredible dish which I served over brown rice. I double checked the points and I came out with 8 points....so just beware. My DH and I were very impressed with this meal and will plan on doing it again and again!!! Thanks for the posting!
I don't think this tastes like General Tso's chicken, that said it was good. I added some red bell peppers, chunks of onion and sliced water chestnuts to give it more texture.