Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
8 servings, 1 1/4 cups=4 points plus per serving..
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup chopped leek, white part only
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces bacon, Canadian cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, leek, garlic, chicken broth, barley, bay leaf, thyme, pepper, and Canadian bacon. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk and Half-and half and heat through, uncovered, about 10 minutes.
I FOUND IT! I couldn't remember where I found this soup last winter, and of course I lost the recipe in a move. This soup ROCKS! The barley is an inspired addition, offering some of the chewiness associated with meat, but adding fiber instead of fat. It's also really good substituting sweet potato for half of the regular potato.
Great soup, and so easy. Another crockpot keeper to use in the RV! Lots of textures here. I used some lean, sliced deli ham instead of Canadian bacon, but otherwise made as directed. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.
This recipe is terrible. I signed up to food.com just to be able to write a review. No taste at all. I put it down the toilet. Just did not want anyone else to waste money and time on it.