Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
2 1/3 cup = 5 points. From WW Slow Good Cookbook. If refrigerated for more than a day, barley may absorb some liquid. You can add broth or water when reheated. The soup has enough flavor so it will not dilute the taste. You can sub celeriac and rutabaga in the veggie mix- Just keep the broth to root veggie ratio about the same.
- 3 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄4 lbs beef chuck, boneless diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground
- 8 cups beef broth, reduced sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, flat leaf chopped
- Preheat oven 450 degrees.
- Combine turnips, onions, carrots, parsnip and barley on a large nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast on lower oven rack, stirring occasionally until tender and browned,about 30 minutes.
- On another baking sheet arrange beef in single layer and roast on upper oven rack, turning twice until browned about 20 minutes.
- Transfer beef and veggies to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour broth and water over beef and veggies.
- Cover and cook until the beef and veggies are fork tender, about 4-5 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Discard the bay leaves and garlic.
- Stir in parsley.