Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Weight Watchers Website: "No party is complete without holiday sugar cookies. Use different shaped cookie cutters and colored sugars to create a variety of designs."
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup neufchatel cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour (for rolling out dough)
- 1⁄3 cup colored crystal sugar (for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; set aside.
- Place butter and cheese in a large bowl; cream using an electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until batter is pale yellow; beat in vanilla extract and egg.
- Add about 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/3 of milk to cheese mixture; mix batter on low speed until just combined. Repeat 2 more times with remaining flour mixture and milk, until thoroughly combined into cheese mixture.
- Shape dough into a ball and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Using your palms, press down on plastic wrap to flatten dough into a hamburger shape; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of flour on a flat work surface. Pull off about 1/3 of dough and, using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter, cut cookies out of dough and place on ungreased baking sheets. Roll up dough scraps and add back to dough ball. Pull off another 1/3 of dough and repeat process until all dough is used — recipe will make approximately 45 cookies.
- Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar and bake until edges just start to turn golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.