Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from my Weight Watchers Mix & Match recipe book. This one is very novel, but give it a try - it's pretty darn nice for something fat free! This is core or 1.5ww points per serving.
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180c and line a loaf tin with grase-proof paper.
- Blend the chickpeas in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the eggs, splenda, baking powder and zests of the orange and lemon. Mix again.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for thirty minutes until the cake is golden and a knife comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and use a knife or skewer to make several holes in the top. Spoon a tablespoon of orange juice over the cake and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the remaining orange juice with the lemon juice.
- Cut the cake into 12 slices and serve 2 slices per person, covered in more of the fruit juice and dusted with mixed spice and some extra Splenda.
I will quote the Chef whose recipe this is; "it's pretty darn nice for something fat-free" (!!!) I added my juice, a bit of all-spice and some ginger right to the mixture before baking - which turned out to be a happy mistake because I loved the result. I also baked my mixture in a silicone baking dish instead of a loaf tin, so it was a bit more of a "cake" for me - which was also just fine. The cake itself was luciously moist!! I loved the sweet-tart of the orange and lemon combo and the flecks of texture and color that the zest lent. There was a nice... almost buttery quality, perhaps from the chickpeas... that was delightful. Very light, very refreshing - perfect for summer days or really any day you want to make brighter!!! Thank you Wendy-Bob for a lovely treat!!
I couldn't resist making this as it sounded strange. Strange it wasn't, instead delicious. Very moist and almost a creamy texture. I'm on Core so this was a freebie for me. Definitely a keeper. Thank you. Ellie