Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Creamy soup; pureed chickpeas replace high-fat cream From Weight Watcher's Versatile Vegetarian
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, cook and stir until softened (about 5 min). Add garlic, cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chickpeas, sage, and pepper.
- Stir in the broth, spinach, and salt; bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender to puree (or transfer to a food processor and puree). Simmer for 5 minutes after pureeing. Stir in lemon juice.
A terrific, quick soup. Left out spinach (didn't have any), subbed lemon pepper for the pepper/lemon and added some fresh parsley (had it on hand).
Great recipe...it does taste amazingly creamy...and almost "cheesy" (in a delicious way :) )...i used two 15 ounce cans and eyeball adjustments sort of proportionately from there...did choose to add the whole frozen package of spinach then some fresh kale that i sauteed with the onions...i had lots of fresh sage (well as in fresh sage frozen from the summer garden) on hand and added dried too...ended up processing it in batches which worked fine...very comfy, filling dinner with some crusty bread...wonderfully rich without much guilt...really great recipe! - made for "New Kids on the Block" - thanks ceilmary