Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a Cheese Steak with a twist - lean chicken instead of beef. This recipe calls for reduced-fat American cheese, but you could use any light cheese you would like. The points value is 6 points per serving.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded and cut into strips
- 1⁄2 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 reduced-calorie hot dog buns
- 4 slices 2% singles reduced-fat American cheese (or other brand)
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion until browned and very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and pepper and saute until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about to 5 to 8 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast buns; spoon chicken mixture down center of each one.
- Place a slice of cheese in each bun and close bun to help cheese melt slightly.
- Yields 1 cheese steak per serving.
This was a tasy meal. I substituted mushroom for peppers and mozzarella cheese for American. The boyfriend liked it as well and had decided that this is a keeper. As for the other commenter that says that these aren't Philly cheese steaks, they are right. But the recipe never claimed to be. It's just a tasty meal. Also the hot dog buns are used as a method of portion control. If you are tempted to put it on a large sub roll, don't.
For what it is, a weight watchers meal, it is quite tasty, and easy to make. Great when you are watching what you are eating and trying to be creative! My whole family loves this!
I used a bag of frozen onions with red and green peppers. I didn't add the oil and used Schwan's chicken steaks. I also used hamburger rolls as that is all I had on hand. I also added a 1/4 teaspoon of pepper instead of 1/8. We enjoyed this as it was something different.