Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Weight Watchers Magazine June 2012. 10 Pro Points values per serve. Serve with steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Go easy on the chilli. A little goes a long way.
- 1 onion, medium, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed and cut into 3 cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- chili powder, pinch
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 250 ml tomato puree (tomato passata)
- 80 ml thickened cream, light
- 1 cup water
- 120 g baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups basmati rice, cooked
- Lightly spray a 20cm base saucepan with oil and heat over a medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring, for 3 - 4 minutes or un til the chicken changes colour. Add garam masala, cumin, coriander, cinnamon stick and chilli powder and cook stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, passata, 1 cup of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Reduce heat to low. Add cream and spinach and cook stirring for 1 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Serve butter chicken with the cooked basmati rice.
This is one of those recipes that makes me wish there were more than 5 stars! This was EXCELLENT! The sauce is to die for - rich, velvety, perfectly spiced. This recipe will go straight into my all time favorites file. So easy to make, too! I did make a boo-boo and forgot to add in the baby spinach leaves. So after serving, I tossed them in the leftover sauce and cooked for several minutes, then placed the wilted spinach around the already-served chicken. No matter, it was fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe! Made for My Three Chefs 2013.