Recipe by Wendy-Bob
I LOVE this recipe. Had it for years in one of my WW recipe books but never made it til after a friend served it at a dinner part one night and I've not stopped making it since! This is 16WW points per serving and can be done in the crock pot, on the hob or in the oven. 04-Aug-07. Following one of the reviews I just wanted to note that, while this recipe can be made with chicken breasts (I have done it this way on many occasions also) it does lose a lot of flavour compared with using chicken thighs. And if you're not doing WW or watching your weight at all then you can get even more flavour by using chicken thighs with the skin on.
Top Review by Brooke's Kitchen
Delicious! I made a few small changes for our personal preference- I used turkey bacon instead of pork bacon. I also used tomato paste rather than puree. I browned the chicken with the shallots and bacon the night before and then cooked all ingredients (less flour) for 8.5 hours on low in my crockpot. When it finished cooking, I put the crockpot on high for 15 minutes and added a couple of tablespoons of corn starch instead of flour to thicken gravy. Great!
- 75 g streaky bacon
- 450 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 225 g shallots
- 225 g baby button mushrooms
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons plain white flour
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry fry bacon for approx five minutes until the bacon turns crispy.
- Add the chicken thighs and shallots to the pan and cook for five minutes, sealing the chicken on all sides.
- Add the mushrooms, stock, wine, bay leaves, tomato puree and seasoning.
- Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Either simmer for approx 1.5hrs on a low heat if cooking on the hob; cover and bake at approx 150c for 1.5hrs if using the oven, or cook in the crock pot on low for approx 8-10hrs.
- Sift the flour into the pan and stir well until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.