Recipe by Crystal B.
Makes 10 servings at 3 ww pts per wedge. This came from a Simple Goodness Magazine from 1997. This cornbread is wonderful.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 450 degrees.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg and egg whites; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist.
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in a 450 degree oven. for 5 minutes or until hot. remove skillet from oven; coat with cooking spray, and immediately pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove cornbread from skillet immediately.
- Yield 10 servings.
- Serving Size 1 wedge @ 3 ww pts.