Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Points are 3 for 2/3 cup soup with 2 teaspoons cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons scallions, and about 1/2 teaspoon bacon. Another recipe out of their Nov-Dec magazine. I haven't tried yet but wanted to save.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 4 slices center-cut reduced-fat bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F Prick potatoes. Place on the oven rack and bake until tender (about 1 hour). Let potatoes sit until cool enough to handle. Peel 2 potatoes and cut 2 into 2 inch pieces. Mash coarsely the remaining two potatoes. (I would like to leave the skins on the 2 potatoes cut into pieces and peel for the mashed ones.) Stir mashed potatoes into the diced potatoes.
- Heat a large nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Crumble the bacon and set aside. Add the onions and garlic to the drippings in the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally until onions begin to brown.
- Combine the evaporated milk and flour in a medium bowl, beating with a whisk until smooth. Add the milk mixture, broth, potatoes, and pepper sauce to the Dutch oven; increase the heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook; stirring, until the soup is thick and creamy, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat; stir in the sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and ground pepper.
- Divide the soup among 12 bowls; top each serving with cheddar cheese, scalions and reserved bacon. Serve at once.