This casserole-like dish hits the spot when you’re in the mood for a hearty pasta recipe. Serve right away for the best flavor and texture. From the WW website, 1 serving = 5 POINTS.
- cooking spray
- 2 1⁄2 cups gemelli pasta, uncooked (can also use other twisted pasta)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, for pasta cooking water
- 2 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded and sharp variety
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumb mixture. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Divide into 8 pieces and serve.
- Yields 1 piece per serving.