Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are not on the WW program you might want to adjust amounts to taste, for Weight Watchers this dish is 8 servings/3 points each :)
Top Review by rinnie1
I read several Au Gratin Potato recipes before I settled on this one, but I made a few adjustments:
* Cooked onions until translucent to keep the flavor more delicate
* Used King Arthur Gluten Free Multipurpose Flour (Celiac in our family)
* Substituted ground white pepper rather than black pepper
* Added 2 cloves minced garlic
* Added 1/2 tsp paprika (US traditional, not hot or Hungarian)
* Used Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices as a way to save prep and cooking time
* Decreased cooking time to 35 minute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large frypan over medium heat; add in onion and cook stirring occasionally until onion begins to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in flour, then slowly add in milk.
- Add in potatoes; stir to mix; bring to a boil.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, salt and black pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish then spread out.
- Bake for 1 hour uncovered.
- After 1 hour cooking time cover with foil and continue to bake another 20 minutes more.
- Change oven to broil heat.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over potatoes and broil 6-inches from heat until the cheese is golden (about 1-2 minutes).
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.