Recipe by Lainey39
Warm, juicy apples are dusted with cinnamon and nutmeg, packed into a light, homemade pie crust and topped with an oat-based crumb. This is 5 points per serving with 8 total servings.
Top Review by Amy N.
Best recipe. We've made once a week for the past month because my boyfriend begs for me to make it. I was never an apple pie/crumb fan because the filling is usually too sweet and "syrupy" but this recipe made me a convert. I use Jonagold apples and I love how this recipe allows the apples' natural sweetness and flavor to shine through. If you are baking for non-dieter's you can always double the topping, very yummy like that as well.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons water (or more)
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack in middle of oven.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- To make crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade; whiz to combine.
- Scatter butter over flour mixture; pulse until dough resembles coarse meal. Slowly add water, adding another tablespoon if needed, until dough comes together.
- Place dough in prepared pan and press dough up sides and around bottom to form a crust; prick bottom of crust with a fork 5 or 6 times.
- To make filling, combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine; evenly spread filling over crust.
- To make crumble, in small saucepan, melt butter.
- Add oats, flour and sugar; stir to combine and scatter over apples.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350ºF and continue baking until crust and crumble are golden and apples are juicy, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- If pie crust or crumble is getting too dark, cover with foil for last 20 minutes of baking.
- Let rest at least 30 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces and serving.
- Yields 1 piece per serving.
- Use a variety of apples such as McIntosh, Granny Smith and Jonagold.
- If you like your apple filling a bit saucier, bake for an additional 10 minutes.